Total Pageviews

Wednesday 27 February 2013

Shruk



I stand naked by the Jhelum

No Sohni ever drowned here
the waters don’t spin
death
quietly, I spin yarn
of dreams
long threads
delicate dreams
just as my hair
flowing like Jhelum
its watery skin
smooth as my breasts

I stand naked on its edges
like Lalla
and around Dal, I wander
lonely like Habba
Jhelum stands naked
besides me
I see Habba
reflected in waters
a perfect reflection
scene frozen
waters still
like fear

A heavy army convoy
crosses  the bridge
shattering the imagery
breaking the scene
tangling the yarn
water cries in ripples

No Sohni ever drowned here
but, many Mahiwals
buried deep inside
an in-law trick, of course!

I open my heart as
someone opens fire
it weeps like time
tears dripping from
melting icicles

They speak to us like
in-laws, like
army personnel
Jhelum awaits the return
I wait for Jhelum
to return my wailing songs

My memory drips
from my hair
my dreams
from my eyes
you’ve mixed them
tangled the yarn
I can never now
separate the two

But,
I have placed
my spinning wheel
deep in the waters
it will spin
your history forever
such that
whenever
you will pick
the Lotus
you’ll deal
with its roots
tangled yarn
of memories &
desires
entangling you
in a labyrinth

No comments:

Post a Comment